Beef with Mushroom Gravy
Makes: 2 servings
· 8 ounces of beef steak or roast
· 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced in half
· 1 tablespoon coconut oil
· 1/2 cup onions, sliced
· 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
· sea salt and pepper, to taste
· 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
· 1/2 to 1 cup water
1) Preheat oven to 300° (148°C).
2) Melt coconut oil over low heat in a roasting pan on the stove top.
3) Add onions and sauté for 1 minute.
4) Put in the beef, and cook it over medium heat until it is browned on both sides, about 3 minutes each side.
5) Sprinkle each side with garlic powder, sea salt and pepper.
6) Cover the pan, and roast it for 2 hours in the oven; turn the beef over after 1 hour.
7) Take the roast out, let it rest for 5 minutes, and put it on a serving plate.
8) Put the pan on the stove over medium heat, and cook the drippings and onions until they start to bubble.
9) Add the mushrooms, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
10) While the mushrooms are cooking, mix the arrowroot powder with the water, stirring until it is well mixed.
11) Over medium heat slowly pour the arrowroot water mixture into the skillet while you are stirring it, mixing it with the beef drippings, onions and mushrooms. The water amount can be adjusted according to your preference for thin or thick gravy.
12) Stir until it starts to bubble, and reduce heat to low. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook and stir it for 1 more minute, and pour it over the beef when serving it.